Sunday, June 14, 2009

My Thoughts on His Words

Blogging everyday is not as easy as it sounds. Some days I just can't think of what I want to say. Since today is Sunday I thought today I'd devote my post to God's word. Here are the six verses I have chosen and a little background as to why they stood out to me.

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."-Proverbs 16:9

I chose this one because sometimes it is hard to understand why things happen the way they do. I wanted to remind myself that the Lord determines my steps in life. He knows what is in my heart and He makes a way for me.

"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall."-Psalm 55:22

I am a worrier. I have anxiety like nobody's business. This one was to remind me that I have somewhere to place those worries.

"...Not only so, but we also rejoice in our suffering because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character-
hope."Romans 5:3-4

This passage was to remind me that all the bad things I may go through in life are not needless. Everything I go through can help me develop to be the best person I can be.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged."-Matthew 7:1

This last one was because lately I have been catching myself judging people sometimes. Maybe I don't agree with their actions or maybe they have a personality trait that gets on my nerves or maybe they are wearing something crazy. This verse reminds me of my biggest fear: people judging me. I'm sure it happens; it makes me self-conscious and probably doesn't help my self-esteem. I'm probably so aware of it because I do it. But maybe I shouldn't judge, but appreciate. Appreciate that everyone is on their own individual journey in life and they my not think or act or look exactly the way I want them to, but that is ok because it is their journey, not mine. Then maybe I won't be so aware or care about people judging me.

(The continuation of that verse is: "For the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." -Matthew 7:2)

So that is where my thoughts have been lately. But I need to get some more focus on not just my thoughts, but my activities if I am going to accomplish my Before 40 list.

1 comment:

aaaa said...

Truds, the last one is the best expression i've heard so far. we also have a pretty similar saying in our language and in our religion. so it's just wonderful to see and read and remember it again. thanx for reminding it to me and to other people cause this is a very important sentence for humanity...