Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Marketing of Life

What are your strengths? You have probably been asked this questions in an interview before (don’t even get me started on the weakness question…seriously there just isn’t a good answer for that one and 90% of the time it will probably be some BS that will be turned into a strength). Back to the real topic here- Strengths! Everyone has at least one and we need to devote more time to developing these. Enter StrengthsFinder 2.0 (I love how they worked that buzz word 2.0 into the title).

I bought this book several months ago after my Marketing Instructor spoke on it and I was completely frustrated at work (not that I’m not still frustrated. I’m just on to the acceptance phase now). Anyway, I went on a business book shopping spree that night at BarnesandNoble.com (hey- it’s better than eating Sweet Sixteen Chocolate Donuts!). I ended up with StrengthFinder 2.0 and “The Five Dysfunctions of a Team” (also a great book). I read both that week and felt so inspired!

Anyway, I was reminded of how much I loved this book today when I was plundering through my tiny-almost-nonexsistant-file-cabinet-called-locker at work and saw my little strength summary report:
Strategic
Futuristic
Individualization
Analytical
Ideation

I think these fit me to a T in the workplace. Part of the reason I get so frustrated at work is because there never seems to be time for strategy. If there is any strategy talk, that’s all it is –talk. There is no one leading the charge for change (and believe me it is needed). No one looking past themselves. No energy behind the ideas. So I guess I need to figure out how to work these strengths into what I do everyday more in order to feel more fulfilled. There could be changes on the horizon soon and that is always a good thing. Have no fear. Keep moving forward and embrace the change! (Read also the book “Who Moved My Cheese?” or Obama’s acceptance speech.) So I've decided I'm donating my book to the Comm Center library...I can always take it with me when I go...

No comments: